When visiting my sister in Bristol a while ago, we visited a little café near where she lives with gluten-free and vegan options. I queued up and asked what the soup of the day was to be told it was borscht, which was luckily gluten-free and vegan. I then returned to my sister to ask her to google borscht as I didn’t know what it was and I had just ordered it for lunch! I’m happy to report that it was a pleasant surprise.
Borscht is a very earthy, wholesome soup that I wanted to recreate at home and so worked out this recipe. Enjoy!
- 900g cooked beetroot (3 packs)
- 400g white potatoes
- 150g carrots
- 1 stock cube in 1 pint of boiling water
- 1 white onion
- Half a white cabbage
- 2 x teaspoons of dried dill
- 3 x tablespoons of agave
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 x teaspoon of marmite
- 3 x teaspoons of lemon juice
- Step 1 Cut up the potato and boil in a large pan until soft.
- Step 2 Cut up the onion, carrots and white cabbage.
- Step 3 Heat oil in a large pan and add the onion, carrots and cabbage.
- Step 4 Cook for a few minutes then add the cooked beetroot.
- Step 5 Add the stock and simmer for around 10 minutes.
- Step 6 Add lemon juice, dill, marmite, agave and then salt and pepper to taste.
- Step 7 Cover and simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Step 8 Use a hand blender to reach desired consistency.
- Step 9 Top with soya yoghurt and more dill.
- Step 10 The soup keeps fresh for a few days or freeze to enjoy another time.