I love baking for an occasion, even if it is the novelty of Valentine’s day. Instead of a chocolate heavy recipe, I have opted for a very light and floral combination of rosewater and pistachios. The rosewater I used was not massively strong so be sure to check this out before adding the amount I did. You can test it by trying little parts of the dough. The fridge time in this recipe is essential as gluten free dough tends to crumble very easily. It’s much easier to handle when chilled. Dish these out to lovers, friends and family. Best enjoyed with a hot cup of tea.
Rosewater & Pistachio Biscuits
- 100g shelled pistachios
- 220g vegan margarine
- 250g plain gluten free flour
- 50g brown rice flour
- 100g caster sugar and extra for decoration
- Small pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons rosewater
- Step 1 Blitz pistachios until coarse.
- Step 2 Break up the vegan margarine with your fingers in a large bowl.
- Step 3 Sift in both plain and brown rice flour.
- Step 4 Add sugar, salt and pistachios (except 2 tablespoons to decorate).
- Step 5 Add rosewater little by little depending on it’s strength.
- Step 6 Rub the butter and other ingredients through your fingertips to form a crumble type appearance.
- Step 7 Knead into a dough.
- Step 8 On a chopping board, spread some plain flour and shape into a long sausage.
- Step 9 Wrap in cling film and place in the fridge for an hour (longer if you have time).
- Step 10 Pre heat oven to 180 degrees (fan).
- Step 11 Prepare baking trays with baking paper.
- Step 12 At this stage you can cut along the dough and roughly shape, as it’s Valentine’s day, I rolled out parts of the dough to around 1cm thick and used the heart shaped cutter.
- Step 13 Place on tray, evenly spaced and bake until golden, around 20 minutes.
- Step 14 Leave until completely cool.
- Step 15 Decorate with extra sugar and pistachios from earlier.
- Step 16 Keep in a tin or sealed container for 5 days.