I made a Sunday roast a few months ago for my boyfriend and family and I was trying to think of a classic pudding for after. Although this is a very easy tray-bake recipe, I don’t think it compromises on flavour. There’s something really comforting about a traditional recipe like this one.
I also made this at Christmas for those who are not a fan of Christmas pudding and it went down very well with all of my cousins!
You can use ½ teaspoon of xantham gum instead of chia seeds but I didn’t have any. It held together well with the chia seeds but it is a good idea to grind them up beforehand.
The pudding is vegan, gluten free and refined sugar-free.
Sticky Toffee Pudding
- For the cake:
- 1 ½ cups of dairy free milk (I used soya)
- 1 ½ cups medjool dates – chopped into very small pieces
- ¾ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ cup vegan margarine (I used flora freedom)
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups gluten free plain flour
- 2 tablespoons ground chia seeds
- 6 tablespoons water
- For the sauce:
- ¼ cup date/maple/agave syrup
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegan margarine (I used flora freedom)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon dairy free milk (again I used soya)
- Step 1 Put greaseproof paper inside baking tin – SIZE
- Step 2 Put 2 tablespoons of chia seeds in 6 tablespoons of water and put to one side to soak.
- Step 3 Put soya milk in a saucepan and simmer. Add the chopped dates to the soya milk. Turn down the heat and cook for a couple of minutes. Then take it off the heat and add the bicarbonate of soda. It should fizz a bit.
- Step 4 Cream together the margarine and coconut sugar.
- Step 5 Add the date and milk mixture.
- Step 6 Then add cinnamon, salt, chia seed mix and sieve in the gluten free flour.
- Step 7 Stir together and pour into baking dish.
- Step 8 Put in oven for around 30 minutes.
- Step 9 For the sauce, add all ingredients to a saucepan and whisk together. Put it on a low heat as you don’t want it to burn.
- Step 10 When the cake is done, put holes in it all over with a fork and pour over around three quarters of the sauce.
- Step 11 Use the remainder of the sauce to pour over when serving.