Another recipe from my recent holiday to Fuerteventura. I had never had paella until this time as I had always thought it was a fish only kind of thing. I really liked the sharing of a big dish in the middle of the table. I have attempted recreating it at home. The turmeric powder is essential here, making it bright yellow in colour. Share this recipe with friends in the middle of the table and help yourselves.
Also please appreciate my efforts at the the fancy lemon crown!
- 1 small onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 small red pepper
- 1 small green pepper
- 1 pack of baby corn
- 1 small handful of green beans
- 1/2 cup of frozen petit pois or peas
- 2 medium tomatoes - fresh or tinned
- 1 1/4 cups of paella rice
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons of turmeric powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 750 ml vegetable stock
- 1 lemon
- Step 1 Heat oil in a large pan.
- Step 2 Add diced onion and cut up peppers. Sautee for a few minutes until brown.
- Step 3 Add the garlic and stir for a few minutes.
- Step 4 Chop the baby corn and green beans then add to the pan.
- Step 5 Add the 2 tomatoes and stir.
- Step 6 Add the frozen petit pois and stir.
- Step 7 Add the turmeric, paprika, salt and pepper to taste.
- Step 8 Add the vegetable stock and have at a medium heat for about 15 minutes.
- Step 9 Lower heat and continue to stir occasionally and monitor.
- Step 10 Try the rice to ensure it’s cooked properly, if still hard add more stock/water.
- Step 11 Add more salt and pepper to taste, the sugar and some lemon juice (taste as you add).